Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Pretzel with a side of drama, please

OFF ON A TANGENT
Isssue #33 So the drama

This whole drama thing was supposed to stop in high school.

No, seriously guys, why hasn't the "Laguna Beach" drama ended?

I thought the older I got the less drama-filled my days would be. The less crap I would have to deal with, leaving me to think about more serious matters -- like how to pay for gas.

But oh, no. The drama has not left; it's just had a facelift.

Gone is the high school clique, college drunken nights, parents not understanding you during your teen years drama. Gone is the US vs. THEM of high school drama -- here to say it the US vs. LIFE drama.

So you're asking where all this is coming from. Well, while at the mall this weekend I found someone who was as sick and tired of "the drama" as I was.

"Drama," the girl behind the counter said, while shaking her head and handing me a plain pretzel. "I thought it would end after high school."

She gave a hopeful look my direction, as if being older I might have some words of wisdom. I didn't.

"I thought it would end after college," I said while taking my $1.23 in change. "But apparently it's always going to be like an episode of 'The OC.' "

She smirked and gave a little head nod before returning to talk to her co-worker.

DRAMA is more and more becoming a dirty five-letter word that seems to stick with us long after high school and college end. I foolishly thought it would stop, or at least simmer down, after I entered the real world. I was wrong.

At times I find my life to mirror a telenovela. You know, those Univision soaps where everything is ultra dramatic and in a language I don't understand. Much like my own life. Good thing I don't have a gardener, or I would really be in trouble.

If pretzel place girl is reading this, just remember you may have drama, but it's not as bad as 'The OC.' Unless your gold digger of a mom is sleeping with your ex-boyfriend who beat up your current boyfriend whose best friend is in love with your best friend. If that's the case, I can only give you this advice: buy Phantom Planet's "The Guest" so you can have a theme song, and make sure Ryan is wearing a clean wife beater.

On the Ipod: Better than Ezra, "Friction Baby"

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why would Brooke Sample wear white to her wedding? She lives in sin with her future husband now. Why would she ramble on about thin women at the local gym? Ten years and 2 kids from now she will be a 250lbs linebacker marching into divorce court.

Does she really think she has anything even remotely intersting to say?

4:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home