Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Sunday, April 16, 2006

Where are my sesame sticks?



When the Whole Foods Market opened in Middletown, saying I was ecstatic would be an understatement. Going into a WFM is like being home, if only for a moment.

When I found out, I did what some may call a "happy dance."

I was hoping for things like gelato, raw foods, and sushi and sandwich bars to be included in the floor plans. But then again, when it comes to Whole Foods, I'm somewhat spoiled.

I grew up near the original store in Austin, and as a kid frequented it to get my two favorite snacks: banana chips and sesame sticks. Now, some 25 years after it opened, the remodeled flagship store sits on a city block with underground parking and valet grocery service. Oh and the gelato, raw foods, sandwich and sushi bars are also there.

This made me super happy, but there was one thing that I couldn't escape ...

Now repeat after me: Whole Foods originated in Austin, Texas.

Go on. Repeat it. I'll wait.

Good.

Now, why am I making you do this? Well, it seems on a monthly basis someone tries to tell me or convince me Whole Foods is from California. Now, this happened a few times while I was in Florida, but since moving up here, it's taken on a life of its own.

The conversation usually goes like this, "Dude, you know Whole Foods started in California. It's so West Coast, don't you think so?" Now this is said with so much assurance that challenging them almost seems like a fool's errand.

Hello, my name is Fool.

I then proceed into a diatribe that rivals most political officials. I take a deep breath and go into the whole story: How the original story opened in Austin, how it was a small shack on Lamar in 1980, how it grew into the legend it is now.

It's only when I produce photographical proof of the landmark store and world headquarters at 5th and Lamar (pictued above) that people seemed satisfied. Seriously.

Now, if you excuse me, I have some banana chips calling my name.

On the iPod: Kelly Clarkson, "Breakaway"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home