Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Monday, March 27, 2006

Hi y'all!

I'm really tired. No really, I'm tired.

I just spent 12 hours in airports, cars and shuttle buses to get from the Lone Star State to the Garden State.

I left 80-degree spring weather and returned to a 30-degree winter. It's always a shock for this Southern girl to step out of EWR and freeze her butt off.

Not so good.

I left hipsters invading my hometown and returned to Don's Pizza King.

Pretty good.

Now, back to my story. I'm originally from Austin, Texas. (Do you understand the hipster comment now?), the Live Music Capitol of the World, the birthplace of Austin City Limits and Whole Foods, home of the University of Texas Longhorns and where I lived until three years ago.

In 2003 I lived in Florida. I may have been out of Austin, but I was not too far from friends and family. I was still a short plane ride away and still living in the South.

Now, 1,728 miles away (according to Google local; yes I checked) and on the East Coast -- I find myself with culture shock.

Things that boggle my mind: circles/jug handles, Dunkin' Donuts on EVERY corner and all the little towns that could really be one city.

Things I love about Jersey: pizza by the slice, NJ Transit and The Sopranos.

This is a fish out of water blog. What it's like for a Southern girl on the East Coast. And it's a chance for y'all to help me understand you folks better. Shoot me an e-mail at lucyq@app.com. Someone explain the Dunkin' Donuts obsession to me, please.

What's next: My addiction to The Sopranos and Don's Pizza King
On the iPod: The Toadies, Rubberneck

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home