Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Sorry, soul mate unavailable ...

Off on a tangent
Issue # 54 Online dating

My sister used one of those online dating services.

My sister is UNMATCHABLE so they say.

My sister's not even old enough to get into a bar.

Now, before any of this started, I was skeptical of online dating services.

You know the ones where they tell you there's a perfect match for everyone. Where the happy couples hold hands and laugh and make lovey-dovey eyes at each other. The ones more and more people are using to find a date, to find a match, to find their soul mates based on a "profile."

Now, if you're reading this and saying, "Hey, that's me. It worked for me." Then please know this ... I'm happy for you. Really. I just wish my sister could have found the same happiness and not been told she's UNMATCHABLE.

Let's note that my sister is smart, creative, funny and a knockout. She's the one who frequently gets hit on by well-known recording artists and has Hollywood-types put their number in her cell phone.

In the day of speed dating and the age of divorce, should we turn to online dating to help us find our one and only? Should we take the time to fill out a profile -- that makes us rank our life in order of importance -- to help us find a suitable match? Or should we do what we've done for ages and go to a bar?

I wish I knew the answer to these questions. I wish there were an easy way to find that perfect person for each of us, but "date" seems to be a four-letter word for most. It seems more and more, we need a little push in the pursuit of a significant other.

Now my sister has another push toward finding a relationship: A friend is playing matchmaker for her.

At least they're not promising to find her a perfect match; just a date for Friday night.

On the iPod: Jack's Mannequin, "The Lights and Buzz"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home