Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Sunday, May 07, 2006

Lucy + iPod 4 EVER

In the last couple of days I've gotten a lot of comments on my blog profile information. Manly on how I can be in a committed relationship with an iPod.

The thing is, I'm finding more and more of my friends in committed relationships with technology.

I have to wonder if this is a product of our environment. If my generation is looking elsewhere for commitment when our relationships go south.

My friend's in a serious relationship with her laptop; they have been together for years. One night I admitted my love for iPod to her, and she in turn told me it was OK, that she too had a love, and it's name was iBook.

Another is in the honeymoon stage with her new record player. Before that, she was in a committed relationship with her MP3 player. Now, she scours the streets of NYC early Saturday mornings for vinyl to spin. Every time she plays a new record, her eyes widen like a child's on Christmas morning. She loves her record player, and it loves her.

iPod and I found each other when I moved to Jersey. I finally found him at the Target in Howell last year. It was the beginning of a beautiful relationship.

We go everywhere together, the train, the subways, the laundromat, the grocery store and even work. I buy him accessories and fill his hard drive with music. I make sure his battery is charged and have him protected in a case.

In return he gives me unconditional love and music.

And like a marriage certificate, we have a binding legal contract. If he ever stops playing music or hurts me, I can have him fixed or replaced. That's more than I can say for my exes.

Now, you're asking what this has to do with Jersey?

Until I moved here, I didn't have iPod, and I didn't think I really needed one. Then I took my first trek on the trains, and I knew I had to get one. It was further confirmed when I rode the subways in the City.

It's moving here that pushed me to get iPod -- and honestly I don't know how I lived without him for so long.

On the iPod: Death Cab for Cutie, "Transatlanticism"

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree. The iPod changed my life. I wouldn't be albe to get through noisy NJ Transit rides without it. Good post, although you seem a little too obsessed.

12:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home