Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Where's the queso?

I'm hungry.

I want queso.

I want fresh tortillas.

But the food I want is nowhere near me. I don't mean it's not within walking distance, or driving distance. Heck, it's not even in this part of the U.S.

What I want is Taco Cabana (TacoC as we call it), a 24-hour fast food Tex-Mex restaurant in Austin. Yes, people: Austin, Texas. I want queso, fresh tortillas, refried beans and chicken flamente. (Yes, fresh food made 24 hours a day. FRESH.) Oh great, now my mouth is watering.

Does this happen to anyone else? It has to; it can't only be me.

You move to a new place and really want something to eat -- the only problem what you want is in another state. And I don't mean Philly or NYC; I mean Florida, California and Texas. The pack a suitcase, get a boarding pass and have a flight attendant ask you what kind of drink you want kind of travel. That's what I would have to do to get me some TacoC. ***big sigh***

I figured this would eventually pass, that my mind would stop craving something I have no chance of getting. But NOPE!

So what do you do when this happens? You look for something else and try to find a suitable replacement. I've tried to find alternatives to my cravings, but so far no luck. Not a lot of chicken fried chicken (NO, it's not the same as fried chicken), or chicken fried steak in these parts. Not a lot of Tex-Mex either. Like I've said before, finding queso up North is like finding the Holy Grail. And don't even get me started on barbecue. ***bigger sigh***

Seeking a replacement works ... for a while. You enjoy the local fare and tell yourself you don't really "need" barbecue. Then one day you're sitting there eating your pizza and realize something. You don't want anymore stinkin' pizza. You want queso. You want tacos. You want chicken fried chicken.

And that day, kids, was today. ***biggest sigh***

So, as I look into getting a plane ticket to Austin so I can go to dinner, remember this: Chicken fried chicken is not the same as fried chicken. Trust me.

On the iPod: The Beatles, "1"

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

TacoC huh? Down I35 we call it TCs. What a difference 65 miles makes. In fact, I'm eating a quesadilla right now. Sorry :(

10:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

" So what do you do when this happens? You look for something else and try to find a suitable replacement. "

ah, such is with life, no?

8:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home