Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Sunday, October 01, 2006

This is where I tell you what to watch.

Dude, what are you watching Monday nights at 10 p.m.? Ok let me rephrase that -- you need to be watching "Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip." Ok, listen to me. You NEED to be watching this show.

All the reviews said it was going to be great but, personally, I rarely listen to what critics say. If I like something, I watch it -- even if others think it's crap.

So here I was, trying to decide between my regular show, "CSI: Miami" or this new show from the peeps who did "West Wing." I decided I'd give "Studio 60" a shot. I loved "West Wing" and even now can watch continuous reruns on BRAVO.

At 2 a.m., I settled in to watch "Studio 60" on Tivo. I went in with low expectations. I mean, it couldn't be as great as "The West Wing" ... could it?

Well, one word: AWESOME.

That's right Jersey folk, you need to give this show a try. It's smart, witty, well written and has Matthew Perry, my favorite "Friend." What more could you ask for?

Now you are asking, "You keep blathering on about this show, but what the heck is it about?" Take SNL and move it to L.A. and call it "Studio 60." Next, the creator of the show has a "Network"-style breakdown. (Remember "I'm mad as hell, and I'm not going to take it anymore.") Now, get Matthew Perry and Bradley Whitford (who were fired from this very show years ago) to come in and run "Studio 60." Nice.

Now, listen. I don't tell people to watch things often, as my tastes are all over the place. I know only two shows have aired, and there's a chance it might suck tonight (I totally doubt it!). But if "West Wing" is any indication, this has the potential to be big. And I'm not talking last two seasons "West Wing" big, I'm talking season two cliffhanger finale 'Josh in the ER this is insane' awesome.

So set those VCRs and DVRs (or get someone who know how to do it) to record this show. I think the critics got this one right: "Studio 60" might just have what it takes to knock out "CSI: Miami" in this battle royale on Monday nights. And if not, I just hope it doesn't get the boot mid-season to make room for something really depressing. Like a reality show where people have to eat bugs to win prizes. ... Oh, yeah. too late.

On the Tivo: Cold Case

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home